Vermin

ungeziefer

Parasites are organisms that feed at the expense of other living beings.

The parasites distinction is made between:

 

 

 

 

 

Ectoparasites
(Ecto = outside)
Ectoparasites are on the animal and feed on skin parts or blood they absorb through the skin. Fleas, mites, lice, ticks
Endoparasites
(Endo = inside)
Endoparasites may be within the entire body. They feed on blood, living tissue or from the intestinal contents. Worms


For all parasites: the more they destroy tissue, the more harmful they are..


Fleas:

The female fleas lay the flea eggs in the fur of the cat or dog, which then mostly fall to the ground there where the animals rests: on the berth or in the sleeping basket. From the flea egg the flea larvae is formed. From this, the flea pupa develops, of which finally the adult flea slips. Under optimal conditions, this cycle lasts about three weeks. Only adult fleas suck blood. The flea larvae feed mainly from to the ground fallen flea dirt.


Signs of disease:

The flea bites cause skin irritation in the area of the bite point. Often cats develop an allergy to flea saliva. Mostly arising on the back connected with intense itching dermatitis with crusts and scales.


Treatment:

The following actions can be taken to eliminate the flea problem: The flea treatment on the cat and the dog itself is best done by flea collars, flea powder or insecticide droplets, which are to be sprinkled onto the skin. In addition, the “adolescent fleas” from the environment of the animals should be removed, because only the adult fleas are for feeding on the animals themselves. This takes approximately 10% of their lives into account. The other 90% they stay in the pet’s surroundings. In return, frequent mopping of floors and baseboards, washing of towels, blankets and pillows on which the cat like to linger and thorough vacuuming of carpets, wooden floors and upholstered furniture helps.

A good treatment includes:

  • Treatment of the animal
  • Treatment of the environment
  • Protection of the animal against new infestations with a long-term preparation


Tip: Before vacuuming a moth ball or the rest of the shortened flea collar can be laid into the dust bag. In case of heavy flea infestation an insecticide can support the flea control in the apartment. An environmental flea spray is then sprayed onto the non-washable surfaces (for example carpets and upholstery) in the region of the cat’s berths into the corners and cranny. Cats and dogs that wear a new flea collar or have recently been treated with a flea powder or spray should not be touched by small children.
 


Ticks:

Ticks develop from the egg to the larval and nymphal stage to the adult ticks, which propagate again.

Each development step takes about one year. The tick has only one food intake required in any stage of development. She jumps on the animal, biting firmly for a few days and soaks up blood. Then it drops off and waits until next year for a new host.

Ticks reside mainly in the great outdoors. This means that a treatment can only take place, when the tick has already bitten fixed. If the pet wears a vermin collar, the tick will die and fall of after one to two days. The tick can be unscrewed with special tick tweezers.

 

For questions and problems, please contact our trained team at the Zoo Roco store. It can offer professional advice on all issues.

No results were found for the filter!
Zoo Roco News